Category Archives: Preparing Return

Documents for Return

As you complete your Form 13614-C Intake Interview & Quality Review Sheet, you will get a better idea of what documents you may need. Here is a partial list of some of the most common.

Identification and Personal Information

  • Proof of identification (photo ID) for taxpayer and spouse (if filing jointly)
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents. An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check

Income Documents

  • Wage and earning statements, including distributions from retirement accounts (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-NEC, 1099-Misc, SSA-1099, etc.)
  • Interest, dividend and distribution statements from banks, brokerages, pensions, Social Security, annuities, etc. (Forms 1099)
  • Records of income from self-employment
  • Other income including gambling winnings and losses

Expenses, Deductions and Credits

  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements. Taxpayers insured through the ACA marketplace will need to document their Premium Tax Credit receipts.
  • Distributions from and contributions to a Health Savings Account.
  • Expenses related to self-employment.
  • Higher Education scholarships and expenses (tuition, books, etc.) (Form 1098 T).
  • Medical Expenses and Health Insurance premiums (if itemizing)
  • Mortgage statements (if itemizing)